I see skies of blue, clouds of white...

"Let them once get in touch with nature and a habit is formed which will be a source of delight and habit through life."  Charlotte Mason


While my middle schooler is working her way through Apologia Physical Science we decided to close the textbooks and spend some much-desired time outdoors. With glimpses of sunny afternoons, blooms on the pear trees and the sweet smell of spring lingering in the air our senses have awakened. And so we set out to explore the backyard. Before just running outside we sat down around the table and spoke about the five senses. I asked the children what their favorite things are when they are outside. Kaelyn, my gardener, spoke about how she loves the feel of dirt on her hands. She is also my hands-on learner. Ben said he loves to hunt down the perfect stick to assist in the adventures of his imagination. I shared that I love to sit outside and listen to the sounds of nature...the way the wind sounds as it passes through the trees; the birds that sing back and forth; the occassional laughter of children. Ironically the way each of us observes nature is also how we also like to learn. After some time outdoors we came back in and using a describing wheel with the five senses we put down our observations.

And I said to myself what a wonderful world!

0 comments:

Copyright © 2009 - Our Story in Progress - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template